Sunday, September 12, 2010

My Story

Everyone has their reasons for going gluten free. Whether that be from disease or by choice, or maybe even a little bit of both. Here is a small glimpse into my story.

In 2006 while I was training for the Breast Cancer 3 Day, a 60 mile walk over the course of 3 days in the fight against Breast Cancer, I experienced some very scary symptoms. Rapid heart palpitations, shortness of breath, adrenaline rush, etc. I thought I was possibly having an heart attack. After a full check up from my family doctor she was concerned about my elevated thyroid levels so sent me to an endocrinologist. The endocrinologist diagnosed me with graves disease, an autoimmune thyroid disease where your immune system mistakenly attacks your thyroid gland and causes it to overproduce the hormone thyroxine. At the time I was diagnosed it was pretty severe, my thyroid levels were 3-4 times higher than they should have been. So the endocrinologist suggested I have radioactive iodine treatment. I would take a radioactive iodine pill and it would kill my thyroid cells through my bloodstream. It would either kill enough cells to bring my thyroid level to normal, or it would completely kill all the cells. My endocrinologist said with me being so young and healthy I would bounce right back. And that's exactly what I did NOT do. The treatment killed my thyroid completely, and I was than diagnosed with hypothyroid. She began me on a thyroid replacement hormone, Synthroid. And those were my two biggest mistakes!

To make a long story short I have been through 3 endocrinologists. All that have told me that I am fine. My blood work shows that I am perfectly healthy. Meanwhile I feel so out of control with my symptoms. Fatigue, hair loss, dry skin, mood swings, weight gain,GI issues, migraines, and the list goes on. Trying to get a endocrinologist to treat me more holistically was nearly impossible. I decided to take the plunge and try a more holistic doctor since I clearly was not getting any better the more traditional way. I wanted my life back! To stop feeling like an old lady, and feel like the young woman I was! I recently had read a book on hypothyroidism written by a local doctor, so tried to get into his office. I was put on a year long waiting list to see one of his associates. Lucky for me there was a cancellation and I got in 3 months earlier than expected. The doctor I went to see is a M.D., and he practices traditional as well as holistic medicine. He was a saint. On our first visit we went over my history and diet. And he was positive that I had a wheat and dairy intolerance, among many hormonal deficiencies. He was so understanding, and went over everything with me. He was so thorough! I was scheduled for a full blood work checkup(18 different tests!), prescribed some supplements, and advised to start taking wheat and dairy out of my diet. Six weeks later when I went to my follow up visit every single thing he thought was wrong was true! The tests sure did show all the deficiencies I had and my intolerance to casein and wheat. To be honest the results were eye opening, and very scary. If I hadn't gone in to see him, he said I possibly could have developed more diseases such as Lupus! He told me he didn't know how I was even functioning! And I told him I dont really feel like I am! I feel like Im just here, barely living!

I cant even begin to explain how relieved I am to finally have a doctor that is not just understanding, but can sympathize with the way Im feeling. He shares his own journey with me on how he made the choice to become healthier through a holistic lifestyle. The ups and downs he went through. He has been there before! Finally I found a doctor who doesn't tell me its all in my head, instead he is educating me and literally there by my side every step of the way! He reassures me how everything will not happen over night, but slowly and surely I will get there. There needs to be more doctors like him! I will forever be grateful!

Since my last appointment I have been a little overwhelmed trying to find my way down this new path. But even feeling overwhelmed, for once in four years I feel like I could actually feel healthy again. There is hope that I wont feel like a 60-70 year old woman in my 30's! That I can actually find the energy to do more than eat, sleep, and go to work! I can get my life back!

And there you have it, my story. I guess you could say disease did bring me to this journey. Not Celiac, but Thyroid disease. But this disease will not define me! I am determined to live a full, healthy lifestyle with this mind boggling disease! I can get this under control. Doors have been opened to a whole new world I didnt know existed, and I truly am seeing how a holistic lifestyle is the smartest decision I could ever make! So while disease has introduced me to a gluten/dairy free world....it also is my choice to treat my body with the respect it needs that has me on this journey. Our bodies are a temple, and we should treat them the way they deserve to be treated! Im determined to stop abusing mine, and give it the attention it needs! For the last four years I have dont nothing but curse out my thyroid disease, but I think in due time I will see that this is probably the best thing that could have happened to me! A blessing in disguise ;)

2 comments:

  1. I just got CHILLS reading your post... I have ALL of the symptoms you listed- and while they have checked my thyroid many times they keep telling me it's normal. I don't feel well 95% of the time, something is NOT right. And, I've suffered stomach aches for over 21yrs and they are getting worse and worse. I'm going to take the plunge... try gluten free and see how I do. It certainly cannot hurt! And, about the blood type diet, my mother is an O (as am I) and she did it a few yrs ago and felt great and lost a LOT of weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, I didnt have my comments enabled so totally missed this comment. Sorry! GI problems has always been a problem with me to...and when i was good being gluten free for a few weeks...I was so happy with how those GI problems went away! I just thought I was prone to those problems my whole life!

    Its nice to be able to find others that you can related on this subject. My doctors literally had me think that it was all in my head! Good Luck with your own experimenting, and THANK YOU for reading :)

    ReplyDelete