Monday, September 13, 2010

Pouting Machine

My husband is a saint for putting up with my cry baby meltdowns. Seriously, I need to get a grip! If there is one thing I am learning is that I need to plan, plan, and plan some more! Its very hard to just wing a meal when your trying to eat gluten free.

We were able to go grocery shopping at 1 of the 3 stores we regularly shop at. So I don't really have all the items that I need to make my lunches, and as we found out tonight a full dinner. Although I think dinner could have been accomplished if I wasn't so crabby. I have to admit I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, and carried it through my entire work day. Lunch time was a little difficult and I didn't eat any protein, which left me famished mid afternoon. I raided the vending machine with what I thought was the smartest choice, Frito's. Yeah, not the healthiest. When I got home all I wanted to do was veg on the couch feeling sorry for myself, and that's exactly what I did. Because thats really going to help me case right?

By the time my husband got home from work we started to discuss dinner options. I took pork chops out the night before, but we are out of potatoes and short on veggies.....so we decided we would eat out. Now I use to love eating out...but with the new challenges I have I usually get overwhelmed and say forget it and eat something that makes me feel horrible. I go in with a great outlook, but than throw in the towel and say to myself...whats one gluten meal going to do? Than cursing myself out for it 10 minutes after I eat it! My husband suggested Pei Wei. Now I'm not a huge fan of Asian/Chinese food. But Pei Wei is a smart choice when trying to eat gluten free, at least a smart choice for me right now as I'm trying to learn the ropes of this new lifestyle. Once we agreed on it, even though it wasnt what I wanted to eat, I proceeded to through a tantrum. Literally. I went off on tangents about things that didn't even pertain to eating dinner. I was crabby from being hungry, and agitated from having a bad day....and it was one big meltdown. But my husband did not cave. He ordered my gluten free meal and went on his merry way to pick it up.

Did it taste fabulous? No. Did it taste horrible? No. Did I eat the whole thing? Yes. So I guess it wasnt so bad was it? Well I guess that sounds about right. Do I feel sick? No. Than Mission Accomplished! So although I gave in kicking and screaming...I guess I could consider this a small success of the day.

Moral of the story.....plan, plan, plan! Grocery shopping is a must do on my next night off from school. And maybe I should grow up a bit. The next time Im feeling crabby I need to take a time out and do something that makes me happy. Play with the dogs, mediate, enjoy a gluten free protein snack, anything that brings me positive energy! Its ridiculous to let it ruin my whole day!

Ironically, earlier today I read a statement that really hits home. I read this on www.glutenfreeeasily.com, The Top 20 Things You Should Know About the Impact Of Gluten (from Ron Hoggan, Ed.D)

A brief trial of gluten free diet cant hurt, and the harder it is to follow the diet, the more likely you need to avoid gluten.

Is that scream me or what? I think Im going to print that out and hang it on the fridge, and in my cubicle at work. Just a nice friendly reminder when I decide to throw my next tantrum. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment